About the Palace
Żelechów Palace SPA & Wellness Centre - a family friendly - was opened in May 2013.
It is an architecturally stunning modern Spa Palace, comparably equipped as the best spa hotels in the world. Friendly and unique atmosphere, Polish hospitality and service of the highest quality in the world, gives an alternative to those who are seeking exceptional and unusual places.
The Palace features 119 rooms and apartments including conference rooms.
It is an ideal place for organising conferences and business meetings, commemorative events, such as weddings receptions, communions and christenings. Żelechów Palace SPA & Wellness Centre offers treatments; previously unheard of in Poland, of deep relaxing care and relaxation sessions. The thermal area, with a number of saunas, relaxing rooms and pools gives the possibility of a relaxing break. The Palace has its own Brewery - with the latest equipment, installed by the world's leader in the brewing field.
The palace's roots go back to the 18th century.
In 1762 construction of Palace was started. The owner then was Prince Jerzy Ignacy Lubomirski, ensign of the Great Crown.
In 1792 the Żelechów estate went to Ignacy Wyssogota Zakrzewski, the first president of Warsaw, deputy of the 4 Year Parliament , co - creator of the 3rdof May Constitution, and co - organizer of the Kościuszkowskie uprising.
From 1827 the owners of the Palace were Karolina and Jan Ordęga. In 1838 Jan Ordęga built part of the Palace and richly decorated the Palace interior, as well as arranging an amazing surrounding park in an English style, with beautifully arranged lakes amidst fruit orchards. Jan Ordęga - a freemason, arranged the park in such a way that its parts resembled symbols of the Kabala. In the years 1845 - 1853, a frequent visitor to the Ordęga family was Romuald Traugutt, whose sapper battalion was stationed nearby. In 1852, in the Żelechów Palace R. Traugutt and Anna Pikiel held their wedding reception.
After the Ordęgas, the Palace was inherited by the Szustrows, who owned it up to the end of World War II. In 1944 the building was occupied by the Soviet army who significantly demolished and looted it. After the war, the Palace was restored and taken over by a Vocational School. In 1960 the Palace - park complex was registered as a national monument. (reg. no. A - 53/266). In 2006 the Palace once again found itself in private hands.
The Palace is built in a classical style. It is single-storied, and built of plastered brick in the shape of an elongated rectangle, whose front faces west. The storied central part is preceded at the front by a four-columned Toscan portico and terrace, and at the rear, it has projections with strongly rounded corners. In front of the portico is a stairway with ramps at its sides. The roof is four-sided, with the gables being two-sided. Inside the Palace, it has been kept with classical, stucco decoration. The ceiling is decorated with friezes of sphinxes and vases, and the windows and doors are enhanced with stucco friezes with a plant motif, as well as having profiled and ornamental corners. The window openings are arranged in a ‘rhythmic’ way.
A wing was built in the second half of the 18thcentury and transformed in the first part of the 19thcentury. Like the Palace, it is built in the classical style. It is situated at right-angles to the Palace on its southern elevation. It is in the shape of an elongated rectangle with rounded corners. The facades are patterned and enlivened by various pilasters. Parts of the vaulted ceiling are punctuated by small windows. The roof is four-sided of metal construction.
The Palace park, which was founded in the second part of the 18thcentury, has an area of about 8 hectares, a large part of which is taken up by two lakes, rich in fish. The park is laid out in an English style. From the main gates leading in the direction of the Palace entrance is a wide tree-lined avenue which leads to the front of the building, finishing at a large, circular lawn.
The tree species here are dominated by native species – hornbeam, maple and lime . Amongst the non-native trees is a particularly high proportion of two species – black locust and white horse chestnut.
The oldest trees in the park are from the second half of the 18thcentury. Two small-leaved Limes or little-leaf lindens, and one London plane are recognised as natural monuments. Among the bushes of note are lilac and snowberry.
The bird numbers are dominated by rooks, but you may also see or hear the tawny owl, blackbird, greater spotted woodpecker, barn owl, wood warbler, fieldfare), woodpigeon, spotted flycatcher, chaffinch, golden oriole, blue tit and great tit, yellowhammer, as well as the magpie). Also inhabiting the park are, squirrels, hedgehogs, shrews, moles, forest martens and bats. Among the amphibians, you will mostly encounter fire-bellied toad , water and common frogs, tree frog), northern crested newt, and the great crested newt or warty newt.